Y5 19.3.21 Looking Back and Forth
Friday 19th March 2021 – Looking Back & Forth in Year 5
It’s been another great week. We have been working hard on fractions in maths – the children have done so well at this. In literacy, we have started a writing topic based on ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’, which the children seem to have really enjoyed. We are reading a graphic novel version of this classic Sherlock Holmes story.
Earlier in the week, we did some lovely PSHE work where the children reflected on their time during lockdown, and their feelings about returning to school.
Year 5 – Pupils’ Highlights:
- We were gripped by the opening chapters of The Hound of the Baskervilles.
- We enjoyed the PSHE work, especially designing our own jigsaw piece.
- We liked the science double page spread about ‘Materials’.
Family discussion questions:
- Ask the children to tell you all about Sherlock Holmes’s character.
- Talk to the children about their jigsaw piece, and what they think they bring to the class.
Next week, we will be starting our new foundation topics in history and geography – South America and Ancient Greece. We always begin by exploring the children’s pre-topic knowledge.
In our written work we will be continuing to explore the skills needed to write a detective story.
In maths we will complete our fractions work (multiplying fractions), before moving on to area and perimeter.
The children spent the first couple of weeks back going over some notes on their instruments they had learned last term.